Tuesday 3 September 2013

The Conjuring - review

Hey guys! I figured as I haven't done a review yet, I should probably get one out there by now. So, so start it all off, I'm going to talk to you about The Conjuring!

 
(source: www.hdwallpapers.in)

For those who have no idea what this film is about, where have you been?! This is one of the latest horror films to hit the big screens, being released in the UK cinemas on 2nd August 2013. This film is based on true events and will have you on the edge of your seat throughout!

The film looks at a couple who go and help those who have demonic and other presences within their lives and homes. They go and assist families in getting rid of the and give them advice as to how they should deal with it. In particular, it looks at one family who move into a house where a lot of history still remained...

I absolutely love horror films and I love a film filled with suspense. This film did not fail to deliver just that! I was gripped throughout the entire film and even found myself hiding behind my hands rather a lot. In my opinion, I find a horror film like this scary when you don't see what the family have to deal with. For example, in Paranormal Activity, you don't see the demon at all as a figure apart from the occasional shadow. However, the moment you see the demonic creature in the Conjuring, the fear factor fades slightly. You kind of just see it and think, 'oh, is that it?'. I thought this when I watched the film Mama a few months ago. I found the film undoubtedly scary until you actually saw the Mama character itself. However, I was still gripped with The Conjuring.

The story itself looks at events which happened in a house before a family moved in. This ranges from sacrificing a child to someone hanging themselves in a tree. A pretty morbid back story, it has to be said. However, this all adds to the depth of the film. The family learn soon enough about the existence about their house guests and start getting roped in to the traumatic story which once occurred in the house, but will they all make it out alive? You'll have to watch for yourself, I won't ruin the surprise.

I love films which claim to be based on true stories. One of the main stories which came out of this film aside from the main story was about a possessed doll named Annabelle. This is what she looks like:


 
(source: www.dreadcentral.com)

The image to the left is the real doll, the slightly creepier version to the right is the doll they use in the film. Pretty creepy, right? Bit of a difference from the original. If you want to find out more about the Annabelle doll story, click here. The fact the film has true stories in it really draws you in to the plot so much more as it makes you realise things like this do happen. If things like this could happen to one person, could they happen to someone else? That someone could be you.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment