Thursday 19 September 2013

5 Things I've Learnt At College.... So far!

Hey guys! So, now I've been at college for a year and Sixth Form for two, I've got to grips with what and what not to do and learnt a few lessons outside the classroom so I thought I'd share them with you guys!

1. Be Yourself

You are at college for your own benefit, no one else's. It's your life, not theirs. Who are others to tell you what you can and can't do?! (aside from teachers of course). You are doing what you want to do and doing what's best for you and your future. Don't waste your time pleasing other people on your course if they have no time/interest in you. You will make friends naturally. I have amazing friends on my course at college and I did in Sixth form too, but trying too hard pushes people away. You want to pass? Motivate yourself. Don't do what's best for someone else. Concentrate on yourself.


 
(source: chrispiascik.com)
  
 2. Don't dress to impress

Difference between college and Sixth form is the dress code. Sixth form has a 'business wear' dress code, whereas, college has no dress code. Some people take this a little bit too far and far too extremely. For example, just last week when I was trying to eat my lunch with my friends, I spotted a girl on a table across from ours. She wasn't the smallest of people either which didn't really help when she had some lovely short shorts with a crop top that was see through at the back. Seriously, I was trying to eat. Not what I wanted to look at. I wear comfortable, simple clothing: jeans, t-shirt, converses, done. Not trying to impress anyone.

3. Be organised

For some people, being organised comes naturally. For others, not so naturally. Admittedly, buying stationary stuff alone keeps me organised. So many highlighters, notepads etc! If you bring nothing to college or can't be asked to work hard, you will fail. Plain and simple. You work hard to get to where YOU want to be. No one else is going to sit your course, do your exams/coursework etc. 
 
(source: http://www.tumblr.com)

4. Be on time

For those who drive, you will know where I'm coming from with this. If you rock up to college late, you will pay for it. If you get the bus, at least you have an outlet to blame. If you drive to college and get there late, you are well and truly stuffed. With so many students and teachers driving to college, you have very little choice in your parking! If you're lazy like me, you will not appreciate the only spaces at the back of the college being free when you need to be on the other side of the building! Also, teaching get quite snarky when you're late which doesn't help if you're in a bad mood or still half asleep...

5. Last but not least, get some sleep

If you are one of those who's up all night on their laptops, games consoles, phones etc until past midnight, you will hate college forever. Being unbelievably tired for a long day of college is painful, especially if you have a long day from 9-5. Your day will drag, you will be in a bad mood and ruin the mood of everyone else around you. Not a good start. Get a decent night sleep so you feel refreshed and motivated for the morning and prepared for your day ahead. Trust me, college is so much better when you actually feel up to it!



 
(source: www.zenbedrooms.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment